Saturday, February 4, 2012

Blending


Beachy Blend

I had the pleasure of driving down the Cape with my two children today. It was a beautifully clear day, a bit brisk, but crisply refreshing. My son came home for the weekend and this was one thing he wanted to do. He needed his Popponesset fix and Kerrin and I went along for the ride. We of course had to take his Jeep Wrangler because that was the other fix he needed to satisfy while he was home. I'm not sure how many of my readers have driven on the highway in a Jeep Wrangler with only a soft top on, but it is loud. Luckily, Connor had his IPod plugged in so we had the music to drown out the drone of the engine.  His choice of music is a unique compilation of contemporary and older music, "mashed up" and spliced together. It takes quite a talent to figure out how to combine various genres and beats together and Connor loves this type of music. On the drive down the Cape, this was my first really lengthy exposure to this music and it took my by surprise. At first, I almost felt overstimulated and agitated but once I finally settled into the music, I was impressed with the skill it takes to know how to blend, what would seem to be, opposing styles together. Much like a chef whose knowledge of flavors leads him to a compliment of tastes and textures that sets a palatable menu to be savored.

All of this got me thinking about the whole idea of blending, and combining.  Mixing various extremes and uncovering a new prize and like a lightning bolt, it occurred to me, isn't that what all of us are, an amazing compilation of diversity. A melting pot of humanity that produces an entire universe of unique individuals, each a blend of ethnicity, culture, habitat, personality and DNA. Our parental composition determines what our talents are and the talents we offer allow us to blend into society and find what suits us best.

We are all derived from the same palette just mastered and mixed to various degrees giving us a blend of shades that make us a colorful society


No comments:

Post a Comment