Monday, January 2, 2012

Taking down the Lights

Yes, I took down my outside holiday lights today and I was ready for the task. There is something about cleaning up and moving on that makes me feel accomplished and accomplishment was something I needed today. After the holday week where I spent far too much time dipping in the chocolates, drinking in the spirits and sinking in the sofa, I needed to snap myself out of the slotherly lifesytle I had assumed. Productivity was my only goal and as the day began I was in fear of skirting my only assignment for the day..."To do SOMETHING". Any slight diversion down the wrong path could quickly send me back to the clink of yet another wine glass. I was tested very early on in the day, as I was slated to play tennis for two hours, but 40 minutes in my calf gave out to the added weight I was asking it to carry across the court. One more lunge for a ball and a pop was sure to ensue. Determined to stay on task and not falter for a forkful of fat. I left the court but hit the bike , finding safety in the mere fact that the bike does not require any weight bearing strain on my now soft and feeble extremities. I rode till I dripped and then rode some more, as I hammered out a challenging Sudoku puzzle. The simplest things can make me feel smart. After an intensive stretching session, I was one my way home, but not before I glanced at the courts with envy. If only I hadn't let myself go over the past week, I'd be out there swinging away the weight I'd gained. Damn that donut maker that drew me in. This is when it occured to me, if I clean up what's passed, my future will be brighter, so down came the outside lights, boxed up and put away, along with the bad habits I had acquired, shut off, just like me, ahhhhhh, the symbolism.

No comments:

Post a Comment