Thursday, March 29, 2012

Free Expression Tunnel

When I went to visit my son at NC State, one of my favorite spots on campus was a tunnel that brings the students underground for a short stint.  This tunnel is called the "Free Expression Tunnel", and it is just that.  The students are allowed to express themselves here, without limitations.  It is an array of words and drawings in large scale spray paint. Some would look at it and see only a jumble of  spray painted mess but I saw creativity and inspiration here. Whether I stood back and saw it from a distance or inspected it close up, it was an impressive display of integrated individualism. Many were overlapping each other, while others stood out quite graphically, all while maintaining the character of the tunnel, as it's own unique piece of art. A visual village of parts that creates an unexpected whole. 
What a lofty idea, to converge varied voices, images and concepts without fear of retribution. 

In an odd way, that is exactly what my blog is, although I am the sole contributor.  It allows me the freedom to say exactly what I am experiencing, without having to face the judgement of others.  There is something to be said for being anonymous, unknown, a masked writer.  I can hide behind my words like a party goer at a masquerade.  I can be a fool or a poet,  a clown with a pen or a scribe with a virtual soap box.  I do not need to face the crowds and cower in fear of their rejection or stammer over my words and filter my thoughts.  This is my free expression tunnel and I'm the sole designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment