Sunday, May 27, 2012

Complex Migraine or TIA?

It began with pulsating intensity, a throbbing head, to the  point I believed it was visible  and producing a bobbing head atop my shoulders.  I must lie down, my only thought.  Once prone, the pressure intensifies, I am unable to move, nausea arrives and then the motion, violent spinning and swirling much like an amusement park ride, but utterly alarming. I tremble even as I write this, reliving the horror.  Strobe lights join the frenzy, rapid flashes burn my closed eyes.  A rush of cool heat floods my head.  The hair stands on end, sharp enough to pierce my pillow and then a flush of, Novocaine like numb, starts to wave through the back of my head.  My fingertips on my left side feel the pin pricks my head encountered first and then the numbness spreads up my hand to my forearm.  I am the recipient of intermittent pins and needles alternating with numbness.  I clench my fist and as I clench and release my left hand, it strikes me.  I am having a stroke, but wait I can't have a stroke, I won't let this happen, I refuse to accept my fate.  The clenching and releasing continues and I realize it mirrors what is running through my mind.  I am grasping and clawing to hold on to my life as it has always been.  Rapid breathing overwhelms me and I am struggling to stay conscious, to remain aware, to simply stay.  No matter how much I try to alter what is happening, this is beyond my control.  I can not stop this, I have no power, I am weak, numb and powerless.  Is this really happening, or am I dreaming and I'll awaken from the nightmare, once this excruciating headache stops pounding out it's mantra.  Strobe lights, dizzy, weak and I'm scared, keep the eyes closed, this is not really happening....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds familiar....Did this happen to you?
    I am sorry if it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I did not see this comment. I was living my second hell at the time you wrote. Yes this did happen to me and it was terrifying. Sounds like you incurred something similar.

      Delete