Thursday, January 6, 2011

1/6/11 Smile

A smile is something we all are capable of
a very simple exercise that can be infectious
A skill that requires very little of us and yet so many people are challenged in this arena

I can't imagine it being a struggle to share a smile
I am perhaps, the other extreme
Growing up, I was often referred to as, "the one who would laugh at anything"
Funny, but I felt compelled to laugh, or at the very least smile if someone tried to make me laugh with a joke
It seemed the courteous thing to do
Why would I want to make someone feel useless when they were merely trying to make me smile
It cost me nothing and it made them feel good, why wouldn't I just be polite and smile?
It wasn't an idiotic, insincere smile
nor was it a condescending, pathetic smile, as if to say, "you poor sap, that was sooooo lame"
It was a genuine appreciation for their attempt to make me and others happy

Actually, let's go one step further...
let's eliminate the jokes and laughing concept and just introduce an everyday occurence
The simplist human interaction
Eye contact and smile
So basic
and yet so sparsely disseminated

I find it astounding that this one, quite simple skill is not shared more generously

The ability to bring a smile to someone's disposition is
perhaps the most elemental endeavor one can share
and yet there are some who struggle with this daily
and for those that do, I am sad

Smile and the world smiles with you
Scowl and the world turns to stone

No comments:

Post a Comment